CELTA (Certificate of Teaching English)
Your ticket to teaching English overseas
Basil Paterson provides initial training for those planning to teach English language overseas or in the UK (CELTA). We also provide bespoke courses for qualified teachers who would like to refresh their knowledge and skills. For those studying at diploma level, our exam centre offers the DELTA Module 1 written exam.
The Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults, or CELTA, is a qualification for proficient English speakers planning to teach English as a foreign language. The certificate is specifically designed for those with little or no previous teaching experience. Awarded by Cambridge ESOL, CELTA is one of the few internationally recognised English language teaching qualifications.
Free Taster Evenings
If you are considering teaching English language overseas and want to know more, why not come along to one of our free online taster evenings? You will learn about teaching opportunities overseas, the CELTA course and get a sense of what a typical day on the course is like.
All evenings run from 18:00 – 21:00.
Taster Evenings 2022:
If you’d like to come, just drop us an email on email@example.com.
Introduction to Online Teaching
Whether you are an experienced teacher venturing in to the world of online learning, or you are just starting out on your teaching journey, our Introduction to Online Teaching workshops will give you all the skills you need to get started.
These workshops are included in the price of our online CELTA courses, or can be booked by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Introduction to Online Teaching Workshops 2022:
Weekend Grammar Workshops
Our weekend online grammar workshops are designed for trainees about to take the CELTA, or for those who have recently qualified. If you want to brush up on your knowledge of English grammar, please get in touch with us for more information and to book a place.
Weekend Workshops 2022:
Why choose Basil Paterson?
- Experience – Basil Paterson is the longest established centre for CELTA in Scotland, having run the courses for 30+ years, helping hundreds of trainees to graduate
- Expertise – tutors have extensive experience of teaching English, both in the UK and overseas
- Support – dedicated tutors provide guidance and feedback every step of the way
- Intensive – 4-week full-time course, covering all aspects of theory and practice
- Facilities – library, study centre, IT, wifi and photocopying available
- Convenience – the school is located just a 15-minute walk from the nearest bus and train stations
- Opportunities – help and support in looking for employment overseas
- Possible seasonal opportunities upon graduation in our teaching team
Course fees include:
- All course materials and extensive self-study resources
- IT facilities and WiFi
- Individual report at the end of your course
- Access to Social Programme activities and events
“Doing the CELTA was one of the best decisions of my life. I learnt so much and the knowledge has been invaluable to my teaching. It is intense, but so worth it.” (Elspeth, August 2016)