The International English Language Testing System, or IELTS, is jointly owned by the British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. IELTS conforms to the highest international standards of language assessment. It covers the four language skills - listening, reading, writing and speaking.
IELTS is the most widely recognised English language qualification in the world. The test is particularly useful to those looking to demonstrate their English language ability for higher education, immigration, and employment (both in the UK and overseas). As the largest open examination centre in Scotland, Basil Paterson is the perfect place to take this important test of communicative English ability. We also offer a dedicated IELTS Preparation course all year round.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are applying for a visa to gain entry into the UK or British Citizenship, DO NOT apply for this IELTS exam. Please go to http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi for more information on how to apply for IELTS UKVI.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for an IELTS exam, follow these three steps.
You must apply for an exam online. If you would like to apply for an IELTS examination in Edinburgh or Aberdeen, please click here and follow the onscreen instructions where you can select an exam from a full-list of available dates:
After your application, you will need to pay the exam fee of £155 for 2017. This payment can be made using a credit/debit card by telephoning Basil Paterson on 0131 225 3802 or in person at the school. Basil Paterson is Located at 66 Queen Street, Edinburgh EH2 4NA.
Submit a copy of your ID. The easiest way to do this is online at the time of application. Alternatively you can email a scan or photo to email@example.com or visit the college and we'll take a copy.
You have two days from applying to complete your registration with payment and ID documents.
Registrations made within one week of the exam date must be completed on the day of application.
IELTS offer a free online resource to help you prepare for your exam. 10 hours free IELTS practice materials is available on this link below. After you complete your online registration you can access a further 20 hours free practice materials.
- Places fill up extremely quickly.
- Basil Paterson does not operate a waiting list system.
- You must bring the ID you used in your application with you on the day of your exam.
- Acceptable ID is as follows: Passport, European ID card and UK Bio-metric Residence Permit.
- Each candidate is permitted to request up to 5 result certificates (TRFs) to be sent to various institutions for free. If you contact us after the TRFs have been issued, or if you wish to send more than 5 copies, a charge of £20 per TRF applies.
- IELTS is not recommended for under 18’s. If the applicant is under 18, please contact the test centre separately for a parental consent form.
- To arrange a test date transfer or refund, a Transfer/Refund Form must be submitted either electronically or by post, please email to request a Transfer/Refund Form.
- There is a £35 admin fee for a transfer of test date.
- Cancellations must be requested no later than 3 weeks before the original test date.
- Transfers can be requested no later than 2 weeks before the test date and an exam date transfer can only be requested once. If you are unable to attend a transferred test date, you will not receive a refund.
- If you miss your exam due to family bereavement or serious illness, a refund will be given. Documentation must be provided along with a Transfer/Refund Form.